The Hurricane That Wasn’t

Angry Sky

It certainly looked like we were going to get hit.

 Felt like it,too.

 At 10 yesterday morning, the sky was threatening. We had all been keeping a close eye on the radar, and knew we were only hours away from Earl’s passing. The air was heavy, and humid, and still. Most of the birds had gone to ground. The dogs adhered themselves to my side, not wanting their human to be out of sight for any length of time.

I had spent much of Thursday preparing for the storm. James helped me move the patio furniture to the basement, take down the hanging planters, and strip the pear tree. I swear, that tree has ears – every time I decide that it’s just too sickly to keep around, it goes and has a year like this.

This year's pears

I know it probably doesn’t look like much, but trust me, for this tree, it’s huge. I found a recipe for pickled pears in spiced red wine – most of these are the perfect size for that. I plan to try it next week, so for now these guys are chilling in the wine cellar.

James found this on the ground:

Invasion of the pear people!

I told him to submit it to the website TotallyLooksLike alongside a picture of Popeye. Not sure he ever did… Funny thing about James and pears – right before he found this, he handed me a beautifully ripe fruit that had come off the tree in his hand when he went to get a better look at it. I rubbed it on my shirt and took a bite, then offered it to him. “I’m not really a fan of pears..” he began, but I suppose the juice running down the side was too enticing, because he took a bite anyway. Then another. And… you get the picture, I’m sure. Score another victory for the ‘just try it’ Moms!

Friday dawned, dark and ominous. Steamy. Still. The kind of day when even your skin feels like too much to wear. I went to get what I was sure would be the last of the beans for this summer. If the wind blew them down again – and I was sure it would – there would be no saving them this time. I was just hopeful that I could find them when it was all over!

Then, we waited.

And waited.

A few brief, but intense downpours passed over us.

No wind. No hurricane.

By the time 9pm rolled around, it was pretty obvious that we were going to miss it. I went to bed, still expecting to get some of the promised heavy rain.

This is what greeted me at 5:30 this morning:

Rain gauge

Two lousy inches. We had an inch before 5pm!

Good news – no storm damage.

Bad news – not nearly enough rain.

Oh, well. The season’s not over yet…


2 thoughts on “The Hurricane That Wasn’t

  1. Glad you didn’t have any damage. We have had a bit of rain and a violent lightening storm on Thursday, but not much rain.

    I LOVE James and the pear!!!

    • We didn’t even have any lightning, if you can believe it!

      I was kind of hoping that the wind would bring down this leaning tree in the back so that it could be cut up. Not yet, but it is closer to the ground. Maybe next time…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s